Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Thankful Thursday - A Day Early!
So, a day early for my Thankful things... why?
Tomorrow myself, my dad and Hammer, my eldest, go on a special trip to Chicago! This is for Hammer's 17 birthday. You may remember that I homeschool him and he has Asperger's Syndrome, an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Hammer is not yet feel ready or interested in driving yet, and since he has been homeschooled he missed out on the special trips overnight with the school and the graduations, so my mom and dad helped to make this possible!
Hammer has always wanted to visit the Field Museum in Chicago, since he was 5 years old, to see Sue the largest and most complete T-rex dinosaur skeleton. Since then we have also read some great books featuring Chicago and its architecture and history. Some fiction, like Jim Butcher's 'Dead Beat' and some factual like Erik Larson's 'Devil in the White City'.
This is going to be quite a trip! We are going by train! Hammer (as most Aspie's do) loves trains, and so does my dad (hmmm, lol). Sleeper car and everything! We leave from NYC tomorrow afternoon and arrive Friday am in Chicago!
We are also staying at the very historic and newly renovated Blackstone Hotel! Visited by more than 20 US Presidents, and the sight of the coining of the political phrase 'smoke filled room' and where FDR received his third nomination etc.
We are also planning to go to the Shedd Aquarium (adjacent to the Field Museum) and to Navy Pier, which has many recreational activities. We are planning to do a water boat tour, either the historical or the architectural one.
No trip to Chicago would be complete without trying authentic Chicago deep dish pizza! The plan is to hit Lou Malnati's for that, maybe even Friday night!!! And, no Dan, it isn't 'real' pizza, just a different kind, 'deep dish'. 'Real' pizza is what you get in NY and NJ!!!! LOL
Saturday will be our Field Museum day and it is Hammer's birthday. I am not sure where we will go for dinner, but Hammer has already put in a vote for a good steak. ;-)
So, on to the Thankful's...
1. Chicago Trip. And, for my parents making this possible after our financing fell thru when Hubby's old yucky job cut his pay, etc. We are eternally grateful for the memories this will create, of Hammer's dream come true!
2. Coffee. The magical elixir helping me to get packed and ready for said trip!
3. Fuzzy and Pumpkin. For being wonderfully supportive siblings of this trip for their brother, and understanding that this will not be giving him 'more' but simply 'tipping the scales to even'. I am so proud to be your mom!
4. Hubby. For holding down the fort while I will be away. And, for the spectacular job you did Sunday on cleaning out the garage. It is heavenly now!
5. Friends. You are all wonderful... thank you. Those on bookface, those on my email loop, Kathy, Karol... all of you. Wind beneath my wings...
Off to packing and organizing for the trip!